Saturday, November 26, 2005

The Quest for the Perfect Bike (for me, at least)

On Tuesday evening, I had a bike fitting at a local bike shop. I decided to bite the bullet and pay for the fitting/measurements/etc. to help me narrow down the seemingly infinite options for my shiny new tri bike--plus the bike shop will take the cost of the fitting off the price of the bike, assuming I buy from them (which is very likely at this point). It was an interesting experience--I was measured/fit for both a 76 and 78-degree frame geometry, which are both WAY more comfortable than my current Giant road bike (which, as it turns out, is apparently two sizes too big for me anyway). Chris (the tri bike guy at the shop) did the fitting--he's very knowledgeable without being condescending, which I very much appreciate. At times, I felt a bit like I was at the eye doctor's with the whole "do you like it better like this or like this" thing, but by the time he was done, I was pedaling almost effortlessly and was very comfortable in the aero position (love the 78-degree position). Of course, it was only on the fit bike at the shop, but I have to think that comfort will translate reasonably well into being on the road on a properly fit bike.

After all the measurements were done, Chris sat down with me, pulled a bunch of different manufacturers' catalogs, and started talking about what bikes would be a good fit (at least from a numerical standpoint). Turns out the really cool-looking Orbea they have in their window is actually not a good fit (a bit of a relief, given the price tag of it), but I have some solid options in my price range to consider. I think I have it narrowed down to the QR Caliente (good components and race wheels with the standard set-up, plus it's fun to say) and the Litespeed Tachyon, but with a more custom component set-up than the standard kit. Either way, I can probably use my Giant wheels as training wheels, which means I can splurge a bit on some race wheels. I'm leaning toward the Litespeed (and titanium)--but I'm withholding my final decision for a month or two. Regardless, it seems as though the bike thing is becoming more real...now I just have to be patient, I guess...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home