Monday, November 28, 2005

Week 42 Wrap-up (with some more "athletic character building" thrown in)

Week 42 was a little crazy--it was a step-back week following the longest-mileage week of my marathon training program, and yet, because of the Thanksgiving holiday thrown in the middle, it seemed almost more difficult to hit the miles than the week before. Darn those holidays for messing things up...plus darn all that yummy turkey and stuffing to make me feel sluggish!! (Of course, I'd do it all the same way again if given the option...but that doesn't mean I'm looking forward to getting on the scale at the WW meeting tomorrow...)

This was the first week that I really felt winter had hit as well--ran in the snow with Erin and Michele on Wednesday morning, then dealt with a very blustery wind on Thursday, a damp and cold wind on Friday, and a fun 13-miler in the drizzle/rain on Sunday--guess that's the whole "athletic character building" experience Michele and Kerry were giving me grief about. I made it through all of the experiences--probably just as good for me mentally as they were physically. I did notice, though, that I really need to watch my pacing when I'm by myself--Thursday, Friday, and Sunday were all faster than what I was originally intending. My heartrate was more or less in control, but I think the weather had an effect on my brain and how quickly it was telling me I should be done.

I also think it was good for my family that I hit both my runs while at my parents'--if nothing else, hopefully the fact that I drug my butt out of bed and into the cold weather on a holiday should have indicated to them that I'm serious about this whole thing. I think my mom in particular is starting to embrace the whole IM thing--she cut a photo of one of the Iowa participants at IM Hawaii out of the Des Moines paper and had it waiting for me when I got there. It has to be a little weird for them to see me doing all of this stuff now--especially after 30+ years of sitting on my butt--but I'm grateful for their support.

One other big milestone this week--I think I've officially worn out a pair of running shoes. My trusty green Asics Nimbus VII's seem to have pooped out on me--the last 13-miler hurt my feet and ankles more than normal (probably didn't help that it was in the rain), so I added up the mileage on my shoes (at least since September when I started keeping track). Since Labor Day, I'm at 174 miles for those shoes...but that doesn't include all of my tri training from last summer, and, considering I've had those shoes since April and didn't start rotating with another pair until late August, my guess is I'm well over 300 miles in them. That fact, added to the lovely stench they now have, prompted me to order another pair...same style and obnoxious color, but hopefully they'll have a little more cushion. Pretty wild...that's the first pair of shoes I've worn out in my life, I think.

Summary for the week...

Run: 5:39:06 / 36.82 miles
All other stuff: Nada

Goals for this week: Cross-training, pacing, and surviving my first 20-miler...

41 weeks to go...as always, BRING IT ON!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home