Sunday, February 12, 2006

Week 31 Wrap-up

Week 31 was a rough one--more because I started the week out on a sleep deficit (thanks to the Super Bowl) and then didn't catch up than anything else. But, it was also a fairly intense training week--some time trials across all three disciplines, and I stupidly decided to add in the swim workout I missed last week as well (which happened to be a pretty tough swim)--so now it's Sunday night and I am absolutely wiped out. I'm pretty sure every major muscle group in my body hates me--but I'm also pretty sure this won't be the only week I feel like this.

On the up side, I love Tack (if you read the post "It's a bike!" you'll understand what Tack is--but in short, it's my new tri bike). My long ride yesterday was the most comfortable one I've had--didn't really see an impact on my speed on the trainer, but I spent probably 95% of the time on either my aerobars or my brake hoods--compared to probably 40% (if that) that I typically spent on my Giant's handlebars. My back is a little stiff today from the ride, but other than that, all feels well. Amazing what having a bike that fits can do...now I just have to wait until it's nice enough outside to start getting used to handling Tack on the road.

Week 31 was week #4 of IM training--so far, so good, and, other than just being really tired, I feel great. My upper body has definitely had a workout, and I can tell I'm picking up some muscle mass in my shoulders and triceps. After this week's little stunt of adding back a missed swim workout, I'm vowing to let any future missed workouts go--no sense in killing myself to pick up lost mileage/time/laps. I'm also coming to realize the amount of time and commitment this endeavor demands--it will definitely challenge me to be efficient at work and at home so that I can get my training fit in around real life.

I'm excited for spring, though, and the outside rides that will accompany the change in seasons--I'm OK running in the snow (which I did again today), but riding in this weather is not for me. I never thought I'd feel this way, either, but I'm also very much looking forward to getting in a lake as early as possible to do some solid distance swimming--the combination of the chlorine (and dry skin and bad hair) and looking at the @#$%! blue line at the bottom of the pool lane is enough to make open water swimming seem preferred. If the rest of the weeks go as quickly as these past four have, it'll be summer and then September in no time, and I can't wait!!

Here's the roll-up for the week...

Swim: 10300 meters / 3:50 (one extra workout on top of the plan)
Bike: 85.27 miles / 5:42:56
Run: 20.31 miles / 3:31:18
Total: 111.98 miles / 13:04:14

Goals for Week 30 are to get more sleep, keep journaling and stay on the WW wagon, and train a little with Vardo next weekend...bring it on!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger jvardo said...

my first response was... "i'm gonna wring her neck if i EVER hear about 'making' up a workout again." good thing you swore that off yourself because i AM your worst enemy if you don't. just keep that in mind. have a nice day.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home