Sunday, April 16, 2006

Who needs McGuyver when you've got Michele??

Well, apparently the third time really is a charm, at least when it comes to solving the puzzle of my recent rash of flat tires on Tack. About 2 miles into Saturday's Wheelmen ride, I felt that all-too familiar feeling of a flat rear tire, hollered ahead to Sue and Michele (both of whom were also on the ride), and pulled off to the side of the road. Being the awesome friends and training partners that they are, Sue and Michele turned around and rode back to help me...which was a very good thing as I was very close to throwing Tack in the ditch in frustration.

Once we got the tire off, they both took a close look at the tire, tube, and wheel...Michele made the very astute observation that the plastic rim "tape" was not covering the spoke holes completely and that the tape wasn't flexible enough to reseat to cover them. So, after Sue mentioned something about being able to use a dollar bill to deal with spoke holes, Michele came up with a frighteningly simple and just frightening solution--the cue sheet. We tore up little pieces from my ride cue sheet, and she carefully covered each spoke hole with them after seating the rim tape as well as possible. We then held our breath (at least I did) while I inflated the tube...but it held!! So, after a 28-minute pit stop, we were off again...with me checking my back wheel about every 30 seconds for the next 10 miles or so--no wonder my neck is stiff today.

Other than another fricking flat tire, the ride was a great one--the weather was picture-perfect, except for a slight headwind that seemed to pick up near the end of the ride. The route was fairly challenging--a couple of big hills (one that, frankly, had me swearing up it the whole time in my granny gear, but at least I stayed in the saddle for all of the climbs) and a couple of rough patches in the roads, but all in all, a good ride. And, more excitingly for me, I rode most of the way in my big ring and still managed to keep my average heart rate to 73% with a decent average speed.

I have to admit, though, I was glad to be done--if for no other reason than I could stop worrying about the tiny little pieces of cue sheet that were preventing me from having yet another flat. I stopped by the Bike Shop on the way home to pick up some real rim tape--I'll tackle both wheels with that later tonight to make darn sure that spoke holes don't cause me any more grief.

Big huge thanks to Michele for her McGuyver-esque bike mechanic skills and to Sue for her patience throughout the whole endeavor...as always--you guys rock!!!

BTW--I'm also realizing that this will be the summer of tan lines--got a slight sunburn on my forearms with a lovely HRM band mark...and the bike short tan line has begun on my legs...good times...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home